If you’re looking for information on completing a Hypnotherapy Certificate or Diploma course, you’re in the right place. This is the only short hypnotherapy course approved by the British Psychological Society for CPD. The Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnotherapy can be taken either as a stand-alone training or as the first part (Stage 1) of the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy (our complete practitioner diploma training.)
This course is focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, and the use of suggestion; it presents a strong and comprehensive basic training in traditional hypnotherapy. Content is based on experimental and clinical research into hypnosis. Students finish this course confident in knowing what hypnosis is, what it isn’t, what it can do – and with a good solid foundation in how to induce hypnosis, write and deliver suggestions as well as train clients in self-hypnosis, assess hypnotisability and conduct suitable hypnosis skills training if clients require it.
Click here for course dates for this course.
The Certificate Course in Evidence-Based Hypnotherapy is the only hypnotherapy course approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre
Click here to request a prospectus or to make an enquiry.
See below for details of our no-risk booking and satisfaction guarantee!
Call us on 0207 114 9040 if you have any questions.
Who Can Attend?
- You are not required to have any previous training in therapy or education in psychology to enrol on this course, as it is an introductory level training.
- This course is very popular with counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, life-coaches and complementary therapists interested in adding hypnosis to their existing skills.
- This course is also ideal for anyone interested in learning basic hypnotherapy skills for personal development.
This course forms the first stage of our full diploma training so is the first step for those interested in training to become a professional hypnotherapist. You can view the diploma course structure here to see how this Certificate Course (Stage 1) fits into the Diploma training programme.
Hypnotherapy Certificate Course Content
This course is mainly focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, and the use of suggestion; it presents a rounded basic training in traditional hypnotherapy. The course is based on the cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis – and therefore what you learn lends itself very well to being integrated with cognitive behavioural therapy.
Our presentation of hypnosis is based on experimental and clinical research and removes much of the mystique around hypnosis – presented a common sense model of hypnosis that is more acceptable to the general public as well as something that can be learned and practiced (rather than something that is “done to us”.) Importantly this approach to hypnosis this allows it to be integrated into mainstream psychology (cognitive science and behavioural science) rather than remain as an outlier in the domain of abnormal psychology (trances, dissociation etc.)
You will learn…
- How to perform a variety of traditional hypnotic induction techniques, deepening techniques, and suggestion tests
- How to word suggestions effectively and to understand the psychology of “classic” hypnotic suggestion, as well as how to write a customised script for each client.
- How to assess clients and prepare (“socialise”) them for hypnotherapy
- About the practical, ethical, and professional aspects of running a hypnotherapy practice
- How to treat common stress and anxiety-related problems using hypnosis
- How to integrate relaxation and meditation techniques with hypnosis
- Essential self-hypnosis and “hypnotic skills training” exercises
- Basic pain control techniques and designing a pain control self-hypnosis programme for a client
- About basic cognitive-behavioural theory and practice in hypnotherapy
- About the history and theory of hypnosis, from an evidence-based perspective
- How hypnotherapy integrates with modern evidence-based cognitive and behavioural therapies (CBT)
- What current mainstream scientific-research reviews, of both clinical trials and laboratory studies, have to say about the nature and function of hypnosis
The course is accompanied by an extensive manual (over 160,000 words) – with practical articles, forms, handouts and a full set of scripts. Our course manuals are all fully referenced and represent a skilful distillation of key issues and learnings drawn from the extensive literature and research on hypnosis, psychotherapy and related psychological principles.
Feedback from our students
Students on the July 2014 course talking about the recent Certificate Course:
These are from our December 2013 Stage 1 course – held in Islington, London.
“The tutor was passionate about his subject. One of the best courses I have been on! So informative” – Dei Studman, Sports Coach, Wales
“Mark was good and I appreciated the reference to evidence and the cautious approach to making claims for hypnosis.” – Professor Karen Carr, Cranfield University
“I chose this course due to the clear website and the fact that the emails I received were extremely helpful elaborating on what I asked and also very friendly. Responses were also very fast and reassuring. I have really enjoyed the course and felt my confidence has grown enormously through the week. I have understood and learnt so much in just seven days.”
– Suzy Kedge, hairdresser, Wales, (retraining as a hypnotherapist)
“I really enjoyed the scientific approach to the subject and the fact that this was very diverse, allowing for a lot of debate and discussion. There was a good balance between theory and practice.” – Dave Philp, South Africa
“The group exercises and one-on-one exercises were very helpful and important instilling a sense of personal confidence and understanding of the process of hypnosis. Excellent presentation of materials. I liked the use of evidence-based data and interventions. Good variety of methods used to learn materials – videos, books etc. I found the presenter, Mark, to be knowledgeable, approachable and likeable.”
– Mentwab, Counselling Psychologist (BPS Chartered Psychologist)
“I liked the way information was conveyed to the group, such as the timing, how although the group contained professional psychologists and people with a deeper knowledge of psychological problems, it was not allowed to steer away to a deeper level which would have taken quality time from the course in hand, and although a novice with hypnotherapy I felt at ease with the subject.”
– Barbara Powie, Cardiff, (retraining as a hypnotherapist)
“I liked the course structure – a good mixture of lecture and student participation – and also the intensive week format rather than staggered dates.”
– Emmy, psychotherapist, London
“I liked the mix of practical and theory. The building of confidence and skills through the schedule of exercises and evidence that it works, that we can do this. I also liked the opportunity to discuss certain concepts further. Things were presented in a way that was easy to understand, good mix of using different approaches to explain concepts – also the structure of the course, using feedback captured from the exercises.”
– Kirstine Ward, Project Manager, London
“The course content and pace suited me personally. I also chose the course based on the professionalism of presentation, and the knowledge and non-arrogance of Mark – which has been sustained throughout. In other courses I have taken this has been lacking. Any comments or questions from students are dealt with courteously, knowledgeably and patiently. Nothing is dismissed – everything is treated as valid. Excellent approach!” – Alison Carney, Logistics Manager (retraining as hypnotherapist)
“I liked the amount of exercises we did which helped me a lot to gain confidence that I really can do it! The videos used were good. I’m very happy with the course overall.”
– Priscilla Gemperle, Engineer, Switzerland
Forthcoming Course Dates
Next course dates:
Saturday 16th April 2016, 10am-6pm
Location: Danubius Hotel, St Johns Wood, London NW8 7JT
Course Venues for 2016
Danubius Hotel, Regents Park, London, NW8 7JT
Holiday Inn, Regents Park, London W1W 5DE
There is no specific assessment component for this foundation certificate. A certificate of attendance is available on request. If you choose to go on and complete the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy, you will be required to complete a series of home-study assessment questions.
Accreditation / Designatory Letters
You will be entitled to use the letters “Cert. Hyp.” after your name on completion of this course.
This course is approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre for the purposes of CPD (and is the only course in the UK approved by the BPS).
The full diploma (of which this course forms the first stage), is also approved by the BPS as well as being accredited by GHR, NCH and REBHP. Click here for details.
- Students on the hypnotherapy certificate course must be aged 18 or over.
- Students should have no history of criminal convictions or sanctions by professional organisations which might reflect upon their suitability to practice as a therapist.
- Students should be sufficiently fluent in spoken English to engage with English-speaking clients.
- Students must be in suitable mental health for training, e.g., without a history of psychotic symptoms or current mental health problems.
Completion of the hypnotherapy certificate course means you will be eligible to continue your training with the UK College by enrolling on the Certificate and Advanced Certificate courses in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy. (Please see the website for details as courses available can change over time.)
Satisfaction Guaranteed / No Risk
We’re so confident in the quality of our training that we will offer to refund your fees in full if you are not satisfied with the course.
Terms and conditions. Notice of your wish to claim a refund must be given in writing before the end of the training course attended.