CBT for addiction used to rest on the assumption that clients are able to identify ways of thinking that lead them to engage in addictive behaviours. However, research into implicit cognitive processes and self-control suggests that some important determinants of addictive behaviour may not be consciously accessible.
In this workshop we will learn that some of the automatic cognitive processes implicated in addictive behaviour may not be amenable to conventional CBT techniques. Integrating the latest evidence-based technologies such as ‘cognitive training’, as well as skills from third-wave therapies (mindfulness), clinical hypnosis and other behavioural strategies will be the main focus of this training.
- You will be able to understand the assessment and conceptualisation of addictive behaviours.
- You will understand the difference between substance addictions and gambling addictions or other addictions.
- You will understand the limitations of self-report measures of ‘controlled’ processes in addiction.
- You will understand how to integrate skills.
- You will be able to develop new therapy techniques and adapt existing techniques so that you are better able to target the distorted cognitive processes that maintain addiction.
About Daniel Mirea
Daniel Mirea is a senior psychotherapist and lecturer who trained in all aspects of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (including Mindfulness, Hypno-CBT and EMDR) with a career of more than 25 years in the mental health field. He is an accredited practitioner with both BABCP and UKCP, a fellow alumnus of King’s College and a senior associate at The Royal Medical Society. He is a director of a private mental health services provider and also manages his own private practice; Daniel is an experienced consultant clinical supervisor within the South-East London trust and a CBT course leader with NSPC – Middlesex University and Regents University. He has a particular interest in integrating hypnosis with CBT in the context of trans-diagnostic approaches.
The price of this workshop is £135.
There is also an Early Bird Rate of £95!
Workshop date for 2022 TBA.