Are you already a qualified hypnotherapist?
Do you want to add to and upgrade your skills?
And obtain a Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy?
You can read more about the difference between the webcast and online format in the table at the bottom of the page.
We frequently receive enquiries from hypnotherapists who are already fully qualified and registered to practise but wish to retrain with the UK College in order to study the cognitive-behavioural approach to hypnotherapy. Although many experienced therapists choose to complete our standard Diploma training, we recognise that for others they would like to receive credit for the prior training and join our courses at a more advanced level.
Therefore, we have created an option for hypnotherapists who are already qualified and registered with NCH or GHR or another similar hypnotherapy organisation.
The 3 stages of the Diploma
The Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy is made up of three stages:
- Stage 1: Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training course focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, the use of suggestion, the therapeutic relationship in hypnosis and teaching clients self-hypnosis. The course is based on what is known as a “cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis” (rather than a “trance” model) – and this means it is very compatible to being integrated with cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness-based approaches. The understanding of hypnosis is based on experimental and clinical research and so removes much of the mystique around hypnosis.
- Stage 2: Certificate in Behavioural Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training course in CBH with a focus on integrating hypnotherapy with behaviour therapy. This will give you a very solid introduction to CBT particularly from the behavioural perspective. You will learn strongly evidenced, core CBT techniques for anxiety and stress – and how to integrate those with hypnosis for improved outcomes.
- Stage 3: Certificate in Cognitive Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training programme in CBH that gives you a strong introduction and foundation in the cognitive model of therapy – particularly the latest cognitive models for anxiety. It focuses more strongly on cognitive therapy, problem-solving therapy, imagery techniques and mindfulness-based approaches – with a particular specialised focus on the latest approaches for social anxiety, training clients how to remove self-consciousness.
I’m already a hypnotherapist. Can I skip Stage 1 and join on Stage 2 or Stage 3?
Understandably, many hypnotherapists want to “skip Stage 1” (as it seems to cover basic hypnosis).
However, the approach to hypnosis on our courses is very different to that taught on many hypnotherapy training programmes. It is an evidence-based approach to hypnosis that is very teachable, very acceptable to the public and strongly aligned with the research and mainstream psychology.
The new, evidence-based hypnotherapy
This course specifically assumes a cognitive-behavioural approach to hypnosis. The cognitive-behavioural orientation is well-established now, and rapidly growing in popularity, as it is widely-recognised to be the most evidence-based approach to hypnotherapy. There are many good books already available on this subject (see reading list below).
If you have previously trained in other orientations, you are bound to find there are differences in both theory and practice. In particular, the field of hypnosis is often divided broadly into traditional trance suggestion approaches, Ericksonian (and NLP) approaches, psychodynamic (or “regression” approaches), and cognitive-behavioural approaches. These four traditions disagree over certain fundamental points and these differences have fuelled scientific debate for many decades. You can read more about the cognitive-behavioural theories of hypnosis, etc., from the many articles available free of charge on this website and from the core textbook.
Everyone taking part in the conversion course must be prepared to study and learn within this model before and during the time of the course.
You may want to read this excerpt from the core text, which summarises some of the key scientific research findings in relation to cognitive-behavioural hypnotherapy.
This is to ensure both an optimum learning experience for yourself and to make sure that the class is not held back by many questions arising from those who have not fully grasped the non-trance, cognitive-behavioural approach to hypnosis.
Solution: access Stage 1 lectures online to view at your own pace to be ready for Stage 2!
By having access to Stage 1 online, you can view the lectures that you need to in order to understand the non-trace, cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis – and then be ready to join Stage 2 in a group training environment if you choose the Webcast Conversion Course and join a live webcast st Stage 2 (or live in London courses when these are permitted again). See the comparison table below for an outline of all 3 Conversion options.
For the Webcast Conversion Course, we will arrange a check-in call for you with one of our supervisors before you join in the Stage 2 webcast to see how you found learning the Stage 1 material.
Furthermore, many of the assessment questions are based on content from Stage 1. So you may find that you need to dive into Stage 1 lectures and content in order to be able to answer the written assessment questions (or you may find your previous training covered this well.)
If you chose the Online or Self-Led Conversion Course options, you can study Stage 1 as much as you feel you need to, at your own pace.
Stages 2 and 3 integrate hypnotherapy with a wide variety of cognitive and behavioural approaches and techniques, including:
- Stress Inoculation Training (Meichenbaum), [Stage 2 course]
- Cognitive Therapy for Anxiety (Clark, Wells and Beck) [Stage 3 course]
- Exposure and Desensitisation approaches (Wolpe, Lazarus), [Stage 2 course]
- Tension Control and Applied Relaxation (Jacobson, Benson, Ost, Borkovec), [Stage 2 course]
- Habit Reversal Training (Nunn and Azrin) [Stage 2 course]
- Aversion Therapy, Thought Stopping, Paradoxical Intention (Salter, Frankl etc) [Stage 2 course]
- Mindfulness Based Approaches (Perls, Kabat Zinn, Hayes et al) [Stage 3 course]
- Problem Solving Therapy (Nezu, Nezu & D’Zurilla) [Stage 3 course]
- The role & use of Imagery in Cognitive Therapy (& in Hypno-CBT) [Stage 3 Course]
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (Ellis) [Stage 3 Course]
- Assertiveness Training, Authentic Self-Expression and Social Anxiety (Salter, Lazarus, Clark & Wells). [Stage 2 & Stage 3 courses]
The training provides a thorough grounding in modern Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy and covers much of traditional Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – but with a special focus on imagery techniques, imaginal exposure, relaxation training and integrating hypnosis into CBT and mindfulness-based approaches.
The course teaches a very strong integration of hypnosis with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (including mindfulness) and is not simply “CBT plus hypnosis”. Students are trained in the basic theory and skills, while learning basic case conceptualisation and treatment design. Approximately 50 per cent of the course time is dedicated to practical exercises (acting either as therapist or client, or in group work).
“A very feasible and relevant integration of hypnotherapy and CBT”
This is an advanced, intensive training, which presupposes that entrants are qualified in hypnotherapy to the level normally required for professional registration with one of the leading hypnotherapy registers. A short training or distance-learning course will not be sufficient. Likewise, training in NLP or other types of therapy will not provide a sufficient basis, by itself, for entry. You must demonstrate that you are currently registered as a full practitioner member of the General Hypnotherapy Register, National Council for Hypnotherapy, Hypnotherapy Society, or an equivalent organisation, based in the country where you live or work. You must also be in a suitable state of mental and physical health to participate and be fluent in spoken English.
Conversion course options
You can take the Conversion Course in one of three ways: a live Webcast Course, an Online Course resulting in the full qualification, or a self-led Online Course resulting in the Certificate qualification.
We have 10-month payment plan options for all of our courses.
|WEBCAST CONVERSION COURSE||ONLINE CONVERSION COURSE||SELF-LED CONVERSION COURSE|
|Suitable for those who can commit to set dates to attend the webcast training||Suitable for those who require/would like flexibility to study the footage at their own pace||Suitable for those who wish to study flexibly, and learn the approach without the full Diploma qualification|
|Receive access to Stage 1 footage online for self-study - followed by a catch-up call with one of our supervisors before attending the webcasts||Full access to all 3 stages (over 80 hours of edited videos, 1200 slides, 3 x 200+ page manuals and more).||Full access to all 3 stages (over 80 hours of edited videos, 1200 slides, 3 x 200+ page manuals and more).|
|The materials (manuals and PowerPoints) will be posted to you free of charge||The materials (manuals and PowerPoints) will be posted to you free of charge||Electronic access to materials|
|Attend Stages 2&3 via webcast: intensive focused study time (10am to 6pm for 7 days) with other learners||No webcasts attended||No webcasts attended|
|3 hours of tutoring and supervision for case studies and study support||3 hours of tutoring and supervision for case studies and study support||No supervision|
|Includes written assessment and qualification (normally an additional £195)||Includes written assessment and qualification (normally an additional £195)||No assessment|
|Full Diploma qualification: can use the post-nominals Dip CBH and the trademark "Hypno-CBT®".||Full Diploma qualification: can use the post-nominals Dip CBH and the trademark "Hypno-CBT®".||Certificate qualification (non-practitioner)|
|£1950 (and 10-month payment plan option)||£1250 (and 10-month payment plan option)||£950 (and 10-month payment plan option)|
The Self-Led Conversion Course has no assessment or 1-to-1 supervision as it has has been designed for existing therapists who wish to study this approach in order to add to their skillset without obtaining a full practitioner qualification.
Note: we also have upgrade options if you want to “upgrade” to take a Stage as Live Webcast or, when we are again permitted, Live in London. So lots of flexibility!