Are you already a qualified hypnotherapist?
Do you want to expand your skills by incorporating cognitive behavioural therapy approaches and techniques?
Would you like to strengthen your knowledge with the research and evidence that underpin good client outcomes?
And obtain a Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy?
The 3 stages of the Diploma
We recognise that you have already invested in your training. And so any further investment needs to be made carefully and focused on building your skills, and learning new approaches and techniques, not covering ground you've already covered. Take a look at the high level curriculum here, if you would like more detail on this, book a call advisor here
The Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy is made up of three stages:
- Stage 1: Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training course focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, the use of suggestion, the therapeutic relationship in hypnosis and teaching clients self-hypnosis. The course is based on what is known as a “cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis” (rather than a “trance” model) – and this means it is very compatible to being integrated with cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness-based approaches. The understanding of hypnosis is based on experimental and clinical research and so removes much of the mystique around hypnosis.
- Stage 2: Certificate in Behavioural Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training course in CBH with a focus on integrating hypnotherapy with behaviour therapy. This will give you a very solid introduction to CBT particularly from the behavioural perspective. You will learn strongly evidenced, core CBT techniques for anxiety and stress – and how to integrate those with hypnosis for improved outcomes.
- Stage 3: Certificate in Cognitive Hypnotherapy. A seven-day intensive training programme in CBH that gives you a strong introduction and foundation in the cognitive model of therapy – particularly the latest cognitive models for anxiety. It focuses more strongly on cognitive therapy, problem-solving therapy, imagery techniques and mindfulness-based approaches – with a particular specialised focus on the latest approaches for social anxiety, training clients how to remove self-consciousness.
I'm already a hypnotherapist.
Can I skip Stage 1 and join on Stage 2 or Stage 3?
Understandably, many hypnotherapists want to “skip Stage 1” (as it seems to cover basic hypnosis). However, the approach to hypnosis on our courses is very different to that taught on many hypnotherapy training programmes. It is an evidence-based approach to hypnosis that is very teachable, very acceptable to the public and strongly aligned with the research and mainstream psychology.
The new, evidence-based hypnotherapy
This course specifically assumes a cognitive-behavioural approach to hypnosis. The cognitive-behavioural orientation is well-established now, and rapidly growing in popularity, as it is widely-recognised to be the most evidence-based approach to hypnotherapy. There are many good books already available on this subject (see reading list below).
If you have previously trained in other orientations, you are bound to find there are differences in both theory and practice. In particular, the field of hypnosis is often divided broadly into traditional trance suggestion approaches, Ericksonian (and NLP) approaches, psychodynamic (or “regression” approaches), and cognitive-behavioural approaches.
These four traditions disagree over certain fundamental points and these differences have fuelled scientific debate for many decades.
You can read more about the cognitive-behavioural theories of hypnosis, etc., from the many articles available free of charge on this website and from the core textbook.
Everyone taking part in the conversion course must be prepared to study and learn within this model before and during the time of the course.
You may want to read this excerpt from the core text, which summarises some of the key scientific research findings in relation to cognitive-behavioural hypnotherapy.
This is to ensure both an optimum learning experience for yourself and to make sure that the class is not held back by many questions arising from those who have not fully grasped the non-trance, cognitive-behavioural approach to hypnosis.
Solution: access Stage 1 lectures online to view at your own pace to be ready for Stage 2!
By having access to Stage 1 online, you can view the lectures that you need to in order to understand the non-trance, cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis – and then be ready to join Stage 2 in a group training environment if you choose the Webcast Conversion Course.
See the comparison table below for an outline of all 3 Conversion options.
For the Webcast Conversion Course, we will arrange a check-in call for you with one of our supervisors before you join in the Stage 2 webcast to see how you found learning the Stage 1 material.
Furthermore, many of the assessment questions are based on content from Stage 1. So you may find that you need to dive into Stage 1 lectures and content in order to be able to answer the written assessment questions (or you may find your previous training covered this well.)
If you chose the Online or Self-Led Conversion Course options, you can study Stage 1 as much as you feel you need to, at your own pace.
Watch the video below to learn more about the Conversion Course:
Stages 2 and 3 integrate hypnotherapy with a wide variety of cognitive and behavioural approaches and techniques, including:
- Stress Inoculation Training (Meichenbaum), [Stage 2 course]
- Cognitive Therapy for Anxiety (Clark, Wells and Beck) [Stage 3 course]
- Exposure and Desensitisation approaches (Wolpe, Lazarus), [Stage 2 course]
- Tension Control and Applied Relaxation (Jacobson, Benson, Ost, Borkovec), [Stage 2 course]
- Habit Reversal Training (Nunn and Azrin) [Stage 2 course]
- Aversion Therapy, Thought Stopping, Paradoxical Intention (Salter, Frankl etc) [Stage 2 course]
- Mindfulness Based Approaches (Perls, Kabat Zinn, Hayes et al) [Stage 3 course]
- Problem Solving Therapy (Nezu, Nezu & D’Zurilla) [Stage 3 course]
- The role & use of Imagery in Cognitive Therapy (& in Hypno-CBT) [Stage 3 Course]
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (Ellis) [Stage 3 Course]
- Assertiveness Training, Authentic Self-Expression and Social Anxiety (Salter, Lazarus, Clark & Wells). [Stage 2 & Stage 3 courses]
The training provides a thorough grounding in modern Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy and covers much of traditional Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – but with a special focus on imagery techniques, imaginal exposure, relaxation training and integrating hypnosis into CBT and mindfulness-based approaches.
The course teaches a very strong integration of hypnosis with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (including mindfulness) and is not simply “CBT plus hypnosis”. Students are trained in the basic theory and skills, while learning basic case conceptualisation and treatment design. Approximately 50 per cent of the course time is dedicated to practical exercises (acting either as therapist or client, or in group work).
This is an advanced, intensive training, which presupposes that entrants are qualified in hypnotherapy to the level normally required for professional registration with one of the leading hypnotherapy registers. A short training or distance-learning course will not be sufficient. Likewise, training in NLP or other types of therapy will not provide a sufficient basis, by itself, for entry. You must demonstrate that you are currently registered as a full practitioner member of the General Hypnotherapy Register, National Council for Hypnotherapy, Hypnotherapy Society, or an equivalent organisation, based in the country where you live or work. You must also be in a suitable state of mental and physical health to participate and be fluent in spoken English.
“A very feasible and relevant integration of hypnotherapy and CBT”Dr Anthony Dimech, Consultant Psychiatrist
Conversion course options
You can take the Conversion Course in one of three ways: a live Webcast Course, an Online Course resulting in the full qualification, or a self-led Online Course resulting in the Certificate qualification.
We have 10-month payment plan options for all of our courses.
The Self-Led Conversion Course has no assessment or 1-to-1 supervision as it has been designed for existing therapists who wish to study this approach in order to add to their skillset without obtaining a full practitioner qualification. Students studying the self-led conversion course will not receive the Diploma from NCFE or The College.
Note: we also have upgrade options if you want to “upgrade” to take a Stage as Live Webcast or, when we are again permitted, Live in London. So lots of flexibility!
|WEBCAST CONVERSION COURSE||ONLINE CONVERSION COURSE||SELF-LED CONVERSION COURSE|
|Suitable for those who can commit to set dates to attend the webcast training||Suitable for those who require/would like flexibility to study the footage at their own pace||Suitable for those who wish to study flexibly, and learn the approach without the full Diploma qualification|
|Receive access to Stage 1 footage online for self-study - followed by a catch-up call with one of our supervisors before attending the webcasts||Full access to all 3 stages (over 80 hours of edited videos, 1200 slides, 3 x 200+ page manuals and more).||Full access to all 3 stages (over 80 hours of edited videos, 1200 slides, 3 x 200+ page manuals and more).|
|Printed powerpoints posted to you. Shipping is free if you are in the UK. |
Manuals are digital (free) or printed manuals are an extra £75. For printed material shipped outside of the UK, please ask for a shipping quote.
|Electronic access to materials. Printed powerpoints and manuals available for an extra fee||Electronic access to materials|
|Attend Stages 2&3 via webcast: intensive focused study time (10am to 6pm for 7 days) with other learners||No webcasts attended||No webcasts attended|
|3 hours of tutoring/coaching in course content and this approach.||3 hours of tutoring/coaching in course content and this approach.||No supervision|
|Does not include the assessment fee.|
Level 4 assessment: £295 and Level 5 assessment: £495
|Does not include the assessment fee.|
Level 4 assessment: £295 and Level 5 assessment: £495
|No assessment available for this option|
|Full Diploma qualification possible: can use the post-nominals Dip CBH or HDip CBH. Option to use trademark "Hypno-CBT® Certified Therapist"||Full Diploma qualification possible: can use the post-nominals Dip CBH or Dip CBH. Option to use trademark "Hypno-CBT® Certified Therapist"||Certificate qualification (non-practitioner)|
|£2395 or £249.50/month (10-month payment plan option)||£1395 or £149.50/month ( 10-month payment plan option) option)||£1195 pay in full or £129.50/month for 10 months|
|Booking link on request||Book & Pay in full (£1395) Pay in full £1395||Book & Pay in full (£1195)|
|Booking link (monthly payments) on request||Book and pay monthly (£149.50 x 10 months)||Book & Pay monthly (£129.50/month)|
Apply for the Conversion Course
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.