You can read more information about this here.
If you’re looking for information on completing a Hypnotherapy Certificate or Diploma course, you’re in the right place. This is the only short hypnotherapy course approved by the British Psychological Society for CPD. The Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnosis can be taken either as a stand-alone training or as the first part (Stage 1) of the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy (our complete practitioner diploma training.)
This course is focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, and the use of suggestion; it presents a strong and comprehensive basic training in traditional hypnotherapy. Content is based on experimental and clinical research into hypnosis. Students finish this course confident in knowing what hypnosis is, what it isn’t, and what it can do – they develop a good solid foundation in how to induce hypnosis, and are able to write and deliver suggestions, train clients in self-hypnosis, assess hypnotisability and conduct suitable hypnosis skills training if clients require it.
The Certificate Course in Evidence-Based Hypnosis is the only hypnotherapy course approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre
Click here to request a prospectus or to make an enquiry.
See below for details of our no-risk booking and satisfaction guarantee!
Call us on 0207 114 9040 if you have any questions.
Who Can Attend?
- You are not required to have any previous training in therapy or education in psychology to enrol on this course, as it is an introductory level training.
- This course is very popular with counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, life-coaches and complementary therapists interested in adding hypnosis to their existing skills.
- This course is also ideal for anyone interested in learning basic hypnotherapy skills for personal development.
This course forms the first stage of our full diploma training so is the first step for those interested in training to become a professional hypnotherapist.
Hypnosis Certificate Course Content
This course is focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, the use of suggestion, the therapeutic relationship in hypnosis and teaching clients self-hypnosis; it presents a rounded and thorough basic training in hypnotherapy. In addition there is a special pain control module on the final day.
The course is based on what is known as a “cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis” (rather than a “trance” model) – and this means it is very compatible to being integrated with cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness-based approaches.
The understanding of hypnosis is based on experimental and clinical research and so removes much of the mystique around hypnosis.
We offer a common sense model of hypnosis that is more acceptable to the general public (the notion of “trance” is both disconcerting and NOT how people generally describe their experience of hypnosis, moreover it is “fringe” psychology and not very compatible with approaches like CBT and mindfulness).
This common sense model also sees hypnosis as a skill that can be learned and practiced (it’s something the client is “doing” rather than something that is “done to the client”.) Therefore teaching self-hypnosis to clients is a key aim with nearly any client.
This down-to-earth, evidence-based explanation of hypnosis allows it be part of mainstream psychology (cognitive science and behavioural science) – rather than remain as an “unexplained oddity” in the domain of abnormal psychology (with talk of trances etc).
This makes it far more useful and acceptable to psychologists, sports coaches, business coaches, CBT therapists, stress management consultants, personal trainers, pain control therapists, educational coaches and many others.
You will learn…
- How to perform a variety of traditional hypnotic induction techniques, deepening techniques, and suggestion tests
- How to word suggestions effectively and to understand the psychology of “classic” hypnotic suggestion
- How to write a customised script for each client.
- How to assess clients and prepare (“socialise”) them for hypnotherapy
- The practical, ethical, and professional aspects of running a hypnotherapy practice
- How to treat common stress and anxiety-related problems using hypnosis
- How to integrate relaxation and meditation techniques with hypnosis
- Essential self-hypnosis and “hypnotic skills training” exercises
- Basic pain control techniques and designing a pain control self-hypnosis programme for a client
- Basic cognitive-behavioural theory and practice in hypnotherapy
- The history and theory of hypnosis, from an evidence-based perspective
- How hypnotherapy integrates with modern evidence-based CBT and mindfulness
- What scientific-research say about hypnosis
The course is accompanied by an extensive manual (over 160,000 words) – with practical articles, forms, handouts and a full set of scripts. Our course manuals are all referenced and represent a skilful distillation of key issues and learnings drawn from the extensive literature and research on hypnosis, psychotherapy and related psychological principles.
Feedback from our students
“I appreciated the reference to evidence and the cautious approach to making claims for hypnosis.”
– Professor Karen Carr, Cranfield University
“I chose this course due to the clear website and the fact that the emails I received were extremely helpful elaborating on what I asked and also very friendly. Responses were also very fast and reassuring. I have really enjoyed the course and felt my confidence has grown enormously through the week. I have understood and learnt so much in just seven days.”
“I really enjoyed the scientific approach to the subject and the fact that this was very diverse, allowing for a lot of debate and discussion. There was a good balance between theory and practice.”
“The group exercises and one-on-one exercises were very helpful and important instilling a sense of personal confidence and understanding of the process of hypnosis. Excellent presentation of materials. I liked the use of evidence-based data and interventions. Good variety of methods used to learn materials – videos, books etc. I found the presenter, Mark, to be knowledgeable, approachable and likeable.”
“I liked the way information was conveyed to the group, such as the timing, how although the group contained professional psychologists and people with a deeper knowledge of psychological problems, it was not allowed to steer away to a deeper level which would have taken quality time from the course in hand, and although a novice with hypnotherapy I felt at ease with the subject.”
“I liked the course structure – a good mixture of lecture and student participation – and also the intensive week format rather than staggered dates.”
“I liked the mix of practical and theory. The building of confidence and skills through the schedule of exercises and evidence that it works, that we can do this. I also liked the opportunity to discuss certain concepts further. Things were presented in a way that was easy to understand, good mix of using different approaches to explain concepts – also the structure of the course, using feedback captured from the exercises.”
“The course content and pace suited me personally. I also chose the course based on the professionalism of presentation, and the knowledge and non-arrogance of Mark – which has been sustained throughout. In other courses I have taken this has been lacking. Any comments or questions from students are dealt with courteously, knowledgeably and patiently. Nothing is dismissed – everything is treated as valid. Excellent approach!”
“I liked the amount of exercises we did which helped me a lot to gain confidence that I really can do it! The videos used were good. I’m very happy with the course overall.”
Upcoming Course Dates
Fees (all incl VAT)
You can read more information the changes to our courses due to Covid-19 here
There is no specific assessment component for this foundation certificate. A certificate of attendance is available on request. If you choose to go on and complete the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy, you will be required to complete a series of home-study assessment questions.
You will be entitled to use the letters “Cert. Hyp.” after your name on completion of this course.
This course is approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre for the purposes of CPD (and is the only course in the UK approved by the BPS).
The full diploma (of which this course forms the first stage), is also approved by the BPS as well as being accredited by GHR, NCH and REBHP. Click here for details.
- Students on the hypnotherapy certificate course must be aged 18 or over.
- Students should have no history of criminal convictions or sanctions by professional organisations which might reflect upon their suitability to practice as a therapist.
- Students should be sufficiently fluent in spoken English to engage with English-speaking clients.
- Students must be in suitable mental health for training, e.g., without a history of psychotic symptoms or current mental health problems.
Read more about our Eligibility Criteria here.
Completion of the hypnotherapy certificate course means you will be eligible to continue your training with the UK College by enrolling on the Stage 2 Course (Certificate in Behavioural Hypnotherapy) and the Stage 3 Course (Certificate in Cognitive Hypnotherapy)
Just ask and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours (if we aren’t online now).