The Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnosis can be taken either as a stand-alone training or as the first part (Stage 1) of the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy (our complete practitioner diploma training.)
The Certificate Course in Evidence-Based Hypnosis is the only hypnotherapy course approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre
This course is focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, and the use of suggestion; it presents a strong and comprehensive foundational training in traditional hypnotherapy – with a modern approach to hypnosis (non-trance model of hypnosis).
Content is based on experimental and clinical research into hypnosis. Students finish this course confident in knowing what hypnosis is, what it isn't, and what it can do. They develop a good foundation in how to introduce hypnosis and then how induce hypnosis, and are able to write and deliver suggestions, train clients in self-hypnosis, assess hypnotisability and conduct suitable hypnosis skills training if clients require it.
Who can attend?
- You are not required to have any previous training in therapy or education in psychology to enrol on this course, as it is an introductory level training.
- This course is very popular with counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, life-coaches and complementary therapists interested in adding hypnosis to their existing skills.
- This course is also ideal for anyone interested in learning basic hypnotherapy skills for personal development.
This course is the first of the 3 Stages of our Full Diploma
It is a great first step for those considering becoming a hypnotherapist
Hypnosis Certificate Course Content
This course is focused on basic hypnotherapy assessment, hypnotic induction, the use of suggestion, the therapeutic relationship in hypnosis and teaching clients self-hypnosis; it presents a rounded and thorough basic training in hypnotherapy. In addition there is a special pain control module on the final day.
The course is teaches what is known as a “cognitive-behavioural model of hypnosis” (rather than a “trance” model) – and this makes it highly compatible to integration with cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness-based approaches.
The understanding of hypnosis is based on experimental and clinical research and removes much of the mystique and mystery around hypnosis.
We offer a common sense model of hypnosis that is more acceptable to the general public than the notion of “trance”. Indeed the idea of “trance” is both disconcerting to clients and NOT how people generally describe their experience of hypnosis. It is also “fringe” psychology and compatible with approaches mainstream psychological theories, CBT and mindfulness.
This common sense model also sees hypnosis as a skill that can be learned and practiced. Hypnosis is not a thing and it is not “done to the client. Rather hypnosis is something the client is actively “doing”. Therefore teaching self-hypnosis to clients is a key aim with nearly all clients, and research supports that those who learn self-hypnosis first do better in therapy.
This down-to-earth, evidence-based explanation of hypnosis allows it be part of mainstream psychology (cognitive science and behavioural science) – rather than remain as an “unexplained oddity” in the domain of abnormal psychology (with talk of trances etc).
Compared to other hypnosis courses that teach “trance” – this course is particularly useful and acceptable to psychologists, sports coaches, business coaches, CBT therapists, stress management consultants, personal trainers, pain control therapists, educational coaches and many others.
We offer this both as a live webcast hypnosis and an online hypnosis course.
(“Online Hypnosis Course” – means we have pre-recorded video lectures supported by one to one tutoring and online hypnotherapy practise sessions.
You will learn…
- How to perform a variety of traditional hypnotic induction techniques, deepening techniques, and suggestion tests
- How to word suggestions effectively and to understand the psychology of “classic” hypnotic suggestion
- How to write a customised script for each client.
- How to assess clients and prepare (“socialise”) them for hypnotherapy
- The practical, ethical, and professional aspects of running a hypnotherapy practice
- How to treat common stress and anxiety-related problems using hypnosis
- How to integrate relaxation and meditation techniques with hypnosis
- Essential self-hypnosis and “hypnotic skills training” exercises
- Basic pain control techniques and designing a pain control self-hypnosis programme for a client
- Basic cognitive-behavioural theory and practice in hypnotherapy
- The history and theory of hypnosis, from an evidence-based perspective
- How hypnotherapy integrates with modern evidence-based CBT and mindfulness
- What scientific research says about hypnosis
The course is accompanied by an extensive manual (over 160,000 words) – with practical articles, forms, handouts and a full set of scripts. Our course manuals are all referenced and represent a skilful distillation of key issues and learnings drawn from the extensive literature and research on hypnosis, psychotherapy and related psychological principles.
The course is also accompanied by an extensive set of powerpoint slides – printed versions of these are included for all UK residents at no extra cost.
In the welcome package you will also find a pendulum! A pendulum is a wonderful way to introduce people to hypnosis and “the power of the mind.”
Feedback from our students
“I appreciated the reference to evidence and the cautious approach to making claims for hypnosis.”― Professor Karen Carr, Cranfield University
“The group exercises and one-on-one exercises were very helpful and important instilling a sense of personal confidence and understanding of the process of hypnosis. Excellent presentation of materials. I liked the use of evidence-based data and interventions.“― Mentwab, Counselling Psychologist (BPS Chartered Psychologist)
“I liked the way information was conveyed to the group; although the group contained professional psychologists and people with a deeper knowledge of psychological problems, it was not allowed to steer away to a deeper level which would have taken quality time from the course in hand, and although a novice with hypnotherapy I felt at ease with the subject.”― Barbara Powie, Cardiff, (retraining as a hypnotherapist)
There is no specific assessment component for this foundation certificate. A certificate of attendance is available on request. If you choose to go on and complete the Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy, you will be required to complete a series of home-study assessment questions and three supervised case studies.
If you are already a mental health professional or therapist you can use designatory letters Cert. Hyp. after your name. For those who are not already qualified as therapists we do not endorse using those post-nominals.
This course is approved by The British Psychological Society Learning Centre for the purposes of CPD (and is the only course in the UK approved by the BPS).
The full diploma (of which this course forms the first stage), is also approved by the BPS as well as being accredited by GHR, NCH and REBHP. Click here for details.
Read more about hypnotherapy accreditation and hypnotherapy certification.
- Students on the hypnotherapy certificate course must be aged 18 or over.
- Students should have no history of criminal convictions or sanctions by professional organisations which might reflect upon their suitability to practice as a therapist.
- Students should be sufficiently fluent in spoken English to engage with English-speaking clients.
- Students must be in suitable mental health for training, e.g., without a history of psychotic symptoms or current mental health problems.
Read more about our Eligibility Criteria here.
Completion of the hypnotherapy certificate course means you will be eligible to continue your training with the UK College by enrolling on the Stage 2 Course (Certificate in Behavioural Hypnotherapy) and the Stage 3 Course (Certificate in Cognitive Hypnotherapy).
If you want to read more about how to become a hypnotherapist (or how to become a hypnotist for those in the USA) – please click here.
Fees and booking
You can take this course via live webcast on the dates below, or take it as an online course (pre-recorded, with tutor support). The different prices are below (all prices include VAT):
We have interest-free 10-month payment plan options available.
Stage 1 Webcast course: £132 per month or from £1180 if you pay in full
Stage 1 Online course: £112 per month or from £980 if you pay in full
You can take the Stage 1 course via live webcast on the dates below, or take it as an online course (pre-recorded, with tutor support).
We have payment plans available or you can save by paying in full.
Upcoming Webcast Course Dates
Upcoming Online Stage 1 dates
Intakes for the Online Stage 1 course (Certificate in Evidence-Based Hypnosis) are on the 1st of the month.
If you want more immediate access please let us know.
Just ask and we'll get back to you within 24 hours (if we aren't online now)
Or book in to talk to a course advisor (free 30 minute appointments).
Course Advisors are highly knowledgeable about the course, the professional accreditations and can answer all of your questions.