A two day workshop with leading clinician and researcher Dr Assen Alladin, PhD.
NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS ALREADY TAKEN PLACE – CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR UPCOMING WORKSHOPS.
Cognitive Hypnotherapy for Psychosomatic Disorders:
Migraine, Headaches, Chronic Pain and Skin Disorders
with Dr Assen Alladin
Clinical Psychologist/Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Psychiatry, Calgary University Medical School
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Approximately 50-80% of the visits to the Family Physicians are from patients with psychosomatic symptoms. Psychosomatic Disorders involve interaction between the mind and the body. Since hypnosis and self-talk can directly affect the mind and the body, cognitive hypnotherapy has been found to be effective with many psychosomatic disorders.
Dr. Alladin will introduce the cognitive hypnotherapy model and then present an evidence-based approach to treating psychosomatic disorders. Attendees will learn about the rationale and the benefits of combining hypnosis with cognitive behavioural therapy. In this workshop Dr Alladin will specifically cover chronic pain, migraine, tension headaches, acne, and eczema.Dr Alladin will introduce the cognitive hypnotherapy model and then present an evidence-based approach to psychosomatic disorders. Attendees will learn about the benefits of combining hypnosis and cognitive behavioural therapy. In this workshop Dr Alladin will specifically cover
The Workshop will
- Review the interaction among mind, body and cognition in health and illness
- Illustrate how our understanding of hypnotic phenomena can be utilized to conceptualize psychosomatic illnesses.
- Review scientific understanding of pain and how it can be therapeutically applied.
- Describe various behavioral, cognitive, interpersonal, and hypnotherapeutic strategies that are used in the management of chronic pain, migraine, tension headaches, and skin disorders.
- Demonstrate most of the treatment strategies discussed.
In respect to each clinical condition, attendees will learn about the symptoms, possible causation, how to properly assess, when to treat and when to refer, how to case conceptualize (develop a working model of the presenting issues), and how to deliver evidence-based treatment interventions.
- Know what psychosomatic disorders are.
- Understand rationale for combining hypnosis and cognitive behavioral therapies in the management of psychosomatic disorders.
- Describe at least two techniques for helping patients with each of the following conditions: chronic pain, migraine, tension headaches, acne, and eczema.
- Provide brief scientific rationale for psychological pain management
About Dr Assen Alladin
Dr Assen Alladin has been practising and teaching hypnosis and clinical psychology for over 30 years. He is the Acting President and Conference Coordinator of the Canadian Federation of Clinical Hypnosis – Alberta Society (CFCH-AS) and served as Secretary of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. Dr Alladin can rightly be called one of the “leading lights” of modern hypnotherapy. A clinical psychologist, Dr Alladin has published three books on evidence-based hypnotherapy and numerous articles. His book Cognitive Hypnotherapy for Emotional Disorders: An Evidence-Based Approach is a modern classic and is not only on the shelf of many practising hypnotherapists but is regularly referenced when therapists want solid guidance on working with psychosomatic issues. Dr Alladin's PhD was in the treatment of migraine. In addition to his books on hypnotherapy Dr Alladin has published over 25 articles in peer reviewed academic journals and contributed chapters to ten major textbooks on hypnosis. In particular Dr Alladin has published extensively on Cognitive Hypnotherapy for Depression. Read more about Dr Assen Alladin here.
- Cognitive Hypnotherapy for Emotional Disorders: An Evidence-Based Approach
- Hypnotherapy Explained
- Handbook of Cognitive Hypnotherapy for Depression: An Evidence-Based Approach (Nurses Handbook Series
For a complete list of Dr Assen Alladin's publications click here:
Tuesday June 24th and Wednesday June 25th 2014.
Location: London (venue to be finalised shortly)
Existing and former students of The UK College of Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy.
NCH members, GHR members, REBHP members or CNHC registration
UK College alumni & students: £324 (£270+VAT)
NCH & GHR Members: £336 (£280+VAT)
Regular Rate (everyone else): £375 (£313+VAT)